Ms. Goetz braves the storms during afternoon dismissal.
Did you know…
Ms. Goetz lived in Tanzania as a child and originally wanted to be a veterinarian when she grew up? Learn more about Sylvan Park’s principal in this week’s Teacher Appreciation spotlight interview.
Are you looking for an EASY way to show your love and appreciation for our teachers? Join our monthly coffee cart team! We are looking for a handful of families to commit to bringing items for the coffee cart once a month, every month. For example, if you signed up for napkins, you would send napkins in once a month, September-May. Please contact Amanda Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Correction: Girl Scouts Meets Thursdays
The Tennessee Department of Education just announced Sylvan Park Elementary is designated a 2019 Reward School. Reward schools are named annually for improving in achievement and growth for both all students and student groups. Congratulations to teachers and students for their hard work behind this honor.
So that our beloved grandparents can see classrooms and meet teachers (feedback from the grandparents themselves), we are honoring our grandparents a little differently this year! Please join us:
Fall pictures will be taken Tuesday, Sept. 24. Two parents are needed to assist with this event from roughly 8:30 am – 1:00 pm. Please contact Sarah Grace at email@example.com if you are able to help.
There are several ways you can support our school throughout the year!
1. By linking your grocery purchases at Publix and Kroger to Sylvan Park Paideia School, a percentage of every purchase is donated to our school. The same goes for your Amazon purchases. It only takes a few moments to link an already existing account (or to create a new account to link) to Sylvan Park.
2. Did you know that saving your Coke product codes from plastic bottle caps, cardboard boxes, and Costco cases can help our school? Same goes for Box Tops! By simply bringing in the Box Top located on many name brand product packaging such as General Mills cereal, Lysol cleaner, Hefty trash bags, and MANY more, you can help our school!
3. Don’t know what to do with those empty printer ink cartridges or old cell phones and/or laptops? Bring them to Sylvan Park! Recycling these items not only helps the environment but also our school!
Simply follow the instructions here to create/link your accounts to Sylvan Park and to learn more details about ways to support our school! While these donations may seem small, over the course of a year, they can add up to a significant amount. As always, thank you for your support! And don’t forget to let your friends and family know too!
Weekly Spotlight: AMAZON
To create an online account with Amazon: Click here.
To link your Amazon account to Sylvan Park:
1) Go to smile.amazon.com.
2) Enter your Amazon account credentials.
3) Find “Your current charity” then click “Change Charity.”
4) Search for “Sylvan Park Elementary.”
5) Select Sylvan Park.
Tip: Always shop at smile.amazon.com. In order for Sylvan Park to receive a percentage of sales, you must purchase online through smile.amazon.com (not amazon.com).
Try these 2 easy ways to start with a smile. Learn about AmazonSmile.
1. Create a bookmark to your bookmarks or favorites bar to create a shortcut to smile.amazon.com.
2. Add smile.amazon.com link on your phone’s browser or shortcuts—that way you’re still donating even when shopping on the phone.
The Sylvan Park spirit wear store is open for orders. All spirit wear is acceptable for standard school attire. Order your t-shirts and sweatshirts for the 2019-20 school year here.
Typically, spirit wear orders come in about every 2-3 weeks. Many of you have asked about additional colors and we have communicated that request to French Toast, our supplier. We will keep you posted!
Want to know more about instruction? Follow these teachers on Twitter!
Ms. Calverley (library): @sylvanparklib
Mr. Burns (music): @sylvanparkmusic
Ms. Pollard (technology): @Jennrpoll
Ms. Finnie (literacy): @raefinnie
Ms. Hobgood (K): @mschobgood
Ms. Myers (1st): @MsMyersSP
Ms. Rossberger (1st): @smrossberger
Ms. Williams (3rd): @G4Kwilliams
Ms. Bray (4th): @bray_shari
Would you like to purchase a Sylvan Park Hatch Show Print? We have a few left! Email Theresa Yarber at firstname.lastname@example.org to order one. They will be sold in the order that emails are received and held at the school until payment is received. The poster will be sent home to you once payment is received.
The PTO needs many volunteers throughout the year for a wide variety of services. If you are willing to be a part of the volunteer team, please contact Sarah Grace at email@example.com.
View Sylvan Park’s 2019-2020 calendar here. Included are event descriptions, dates and times for this school year. Mark your calendars now for fun events and important dates.
Sylvan Park’s PTO website is under reconstruction in an effort to provide a better one-stop location for everything parents need to stay informed. A huge thank you to parent Stephen Wilson for taking the lead on this project and volunteering his time. Stay tuned for the unveiling.
West End’s active and involved PTSO relies on parent volunteers to support our students, faculty, and staff. The PTSO’s main activities are fundraising, hospitality/teacher appreciation, communications, community building, and student engagement. If you anticipate having some time and/or expertise to give during the 2019-20 school year, please consider joining our leadership team (see here for executive board job descriptions) or serving on a committee (or two!). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
For a complete list of West End events and news, visit the West End PTSO website here.