We know some of you have heard rumors about the track and fence on our playground. Ms. Goetz, PTO, MNPS and Metro all met last week to discuss this matter. The minutes from this meeting are below.
We realize that this news is extremely disappointing, but know that we are working with MNPS and Metro to not only make the necessary changes but we are going to take this opportunity to make other improvements as well. We are hoping that the result will be a nicer playground with more amenities and trees! Stay tuned to learn more about all these improvements coming to a playground near you!
The following were the minutes to a meeting held regarding the property line and fencing issues at Sylvan Park Elementary School, on May 9th, 2022.
- The fence encircling the play area at Sylvan Park was in the process of being replaced. During the replacement it was determined the original fence was located incorrectly as it relates to the correct property line. This particular placement occurred over 30 years ago. No record of how it occurred in its current position was found.
- The Walking path was installed after the aforementioned fence was installed.
- The location of the correct property line was staked and it was determined that a portion of the walking path previously installed was now outside of the new fence location/ property line.
- The new fence location and correct property line was determined from a survey completed in 2001
- To reaffirm that survey MNPS engaged a land surveyor to reaffirm the older survey and to confirm the property lines and the current and correct conditions of the property lines and the location for the 20’ alleyway adjacent to the school.
- The result of this new survey is that it confirmed the property lines of the previous site survey. The previous site survey indicated that the school fence in line with some mature trees.
- It appears that those trees are in the center of the current 20’ ROW of the alley.
- The current gravel drive alleyway serves as the entry way for two residences; one, the entire “property” and home and the other, a double car garage.
- The current gravel drive alleyway traverses adjacent neighbor’s property lines, curving around the trees and then reconnects to the center of the alley once past those trees.
- MNPS will need to reconstruct a portion of the walking path due to a misplaced perimeter fence.
- MNPS will install, as a temporary barrier, a plastic orange construction type fence just outside the current walking path to allow the after school young people to be outside, play and be safely contained. (installed 5/10/22)
- MNPS will engage a Land Surveyor to update the original topo survey with more current contours and amenities that have changed or have been placed in the rear of the school since 2001 (Assigned 5/10/22)
- In order to install the MNPS fence correctly and in the correct location, MNPS will have to relocate a portion of the walking path. That portion to be relocated is approximately mid-length on the street side and full-length on the alley side. It will be placed approximately 1’-0” inside the new, correct fence location. The path will either be 4’-0” or 5’-0” in width.
- In order to install the walking path, MNPS will engage a Civil Engineer to design the new location of the walking path as described previously. (Assigned to a CE 5/10/22)
- The Civil Engineer is being engaged for several reasons; one to design an ADA compliant walking path in the new correct location; two, to continue to have a ¼ mile path as indicated by the PTO representative in attendance; three, to re-design the soccer field in the event it can be reconstructed with new sod and a sprinkler system and finally, fourth, to design a set of stairs in the rear of the school to access the soccer field from the playground area if funding is available. This will include access off the ADA compliant walking path. The Councilmember present indicated she will attempt to secure funding for the stairs and the field reconditioning from Metro Government.
- Once the walking path is installed MNPS will continue with and install the remaining perimeter fencing.
- The discrepancies of the alley-way and the adjacent property owners, if alterations are deemed necessary, may be pursued by the Metro Councilmember in attendance.
No schedule has been established as of yet for the final fence installation. We will update everyone as we know more.