The Sylvan Park PTO is hosting our annual Valentine’s Day Candy Gram Fundraiser!
Here are ways to participate in Candy Grams this year:
1. Decorate, fill out and send in the Candy Grams that were sent home in folders with payment for each one.
2. A table will be set up for Candy Gram orders before school Monday, February 10th – Thursday, February 13th.
Just a reminder that all funds raised go straight to the teachers for classroom expenses!
Questions? Reach out to Sarah Grace (email@example.com)
The 3rd grade classes enjoyed some hands-on activities outlining properties of “States of Matter: solids, liquids, gases” during science lab this week. Here they are witnessing how gases take on the shape of their containers/surroundings and discovering what happens when chemical reactions help to change solids and liquids into gases.
Students in Ms. Rossberger’s 1st grade class study together the photograph “Outside Looking In” by Gordon Parks in preparation for a Paideia seminar. See the photo enlarged below.
Students in Sylvan Park’s Honors Choir take a break from rehearsals Jan. 30 where they practiced with students from other schools in the Elementary Honor Choir.
In your child’s folder this week, you will find a school choice application. Families who wish to apply for a school other than their zoned school should complete an application and submit it by Feb. 14. REMINDER! Lottery families who plan to attend West End Middle School still need to complete an application. See the packet for complete instructions.
Sylvan Park posts $253.80 in Box Top earnings in first week
General Mills pays us 10 cents per Box Top. Our school goal this year is $1,000! Every Box Top counts! West End Middle School is currently at $123.60 after the first week.
The Sylvan Park classrooms that raise the most in Box Tops Classroom contest will earn a no SSA for Friday, Feb. 28. One class per grade will win. The context runs Monday February 3 through Friday February 21, 2020. We are also competing with Eakin Elementary and West End Middle schools to see which school can collect the most this year! Please ask your neighbors, family and friends to start saving Box Tops for you today!
How to participate:
1) Box Tops are located on many name brand product packaging such as General Mills cereal, Lysol cleaner, Hefty trash bags, and MANY more. Recycle the box, bring the Box Top in!
2) Cut out and collect as many Box Tops as possible at home or from friends, family and neighbors.
3) Put your Box Tops in an old envelope, bag or rubber band.
Helpful hints: –
* Please count the number of box tops and write the total number of tops on the outside of the envelope/bag- this saves volunteer counters time!
* Make sure NOT to cut off the expiration date.
* Please check box tops before turning them in and make sure they are not expired. The earliest date of eligible Box Tops is 3/1/2020. We cannot get any money for our school with expired tops. (i.e. NO box tops with 2019 or earlier dates)
4) Bring Box Tops to school in February and place in your classroom’s Ziplock Box Top bag!
5) Classroom bags will be collected each Friday in February to be counted.
6) The last day of the contest is FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21st!
REMEMBER: Box Tops are transitioning to be digital and you can now scan your receipt using a mobile app. They are fading out of cut off Box Tops. Note to our seasoned collectors, do not be frustrated with lower numbers available. 😉
Download Apple app here.
Reminder: Marathon Kids starts next week!
Tuesday Feb 4
Weds. Feb 5
Friday Feb 7
If your child is registered for Marathon Kids, please let their classroom teacher know. All Marathon Kids participants will be dismissed to the auditorium.
Questions/concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your support and enthusiasm for our Sylvan Park running club, Marathon Kids– we are exciting for an awesome 2020 season!
Sylvan Park families are invited to a literacy night and International Baccalaureate (IB) community project fair at West End Middle School Thursday, March 5th from 4:30-6:00. The IB community project is the culminating educational project for our 8th grade students. There will be student projects on display and fun activities!
Kindergarten celebrated being 100 days smarter for Monday’s 100th day of school!
Congratulations to Ms. Calverley on being voted Sylvan Park’s Teacher of the Year! Our school is fortunate to have you.
A few after school clubs have spots for additional students to join in the fun this year.
Habitat Kids Yoga Club – 3 spots left! Thursdays 3:00 – 4:00 pm
Register at MindBody by clicking this link: http://tiny.cc/8yvkgz
Cooking Club – 3 spots left! Thursdays at 3 or 4
Email contact: email@example.com
Let’s Build It – January 27th – April 6th, no class 2/17, 3/16 3:05-4:05 pm
Email contact is : firstname.lastname@example.org
Marathon Kids TUESDAY SESSION ONLY – email email@example.com ASAP or by Monday Jan 20th
Nashville Soccer United – grades K-2 Thursdays 3:30-4:30 on Playground starting March 12
For more information and registration please click HERE www.clubhenry.com
Better late than never! We wanted to let you know about the great success of the Sylvan Park Social this year. The fundraising effort netted over $11,000. Those funds will go into the PTO’s operating budget. The PTO uses that money to support the children, staff, and community of Sylvan Park throughout the year. Thanks to all of the many parent volunteers and teachers who made this year’s event such a success. A special shout out goes to the solicitations team for securing over 140 auction items! And to Lizzie Williams and Sarah Grace for spearheading this year’s art projects.